7.18.2011

Heat Intolerance ... What Steps Can We Make To Get Through It?

It's not news folks... this country is suffering, quite miserably may I add.  Down here where I am, the heat is no stranger during this time of year, however we do tend to get a break every now and then with a cool down of scattered showers but we have been in such a drought that it has just become unbearable.

Like many with autoimmune issues, I have autonomic problems so my thermostat tends to be off.  Heat can be really bad for me also since I don't sweat that well due to the medications I take.  I guess the best I can do is stay indoors and keep as hydrated as possible.  It sure takes the wind out of you though and I tire very easily.

Just some tips to remind me of what I need to do to get through this swelter:

1) Don't forget the sunscreen!
2) Always carry water
3) Stay indoors as much as possible (if can't be indoors, find shade)
4) Park your car in the shade
5) Eat cool foods, less cooking in the kitchen means less heat
6) Stay away from soda or other caffeinated beverages which can be dehydrating
7) Wear a hat
8) POPSICLES

No comments:

Post a Comment