9.30.2011

Working - How do you know when to say enough is enough?

How do you know when it's time to throw in the towel?  I mentioned briefly about working and somewhat of the struggles in my Work and Uncertain Times post.  I mean I manage to get through given the job I have.  There is no way I could do a physical demanding job, that required me to be on my feet, or be outdoors, or extensive traveling, etc.  But I do get those moments in my head, you know those thoughts that say... is that time coming, because things aren't getting better.

I have spoken to my husband and he's nervous.  He makes decent money I guess, but we are not exactly debt free.  He does say that if my health required me to stop working, then we would take it as it came but on the other hand tells me to stick it out as long as I can.  What that means to him and what that means to me could mean two different things.  Of course there is the option of disability but really, is that an option?  I've heard so many people that have been denied (and the very long process that has actually put people in bankruptcy going through it)  Even those dying of cancer get denied so while I could hold out hope for disability as an option for me, I can't put all my eggs in that basket.

This has just been on my mind lately, I mean it's not a serious consideration at this point.  Today, it came to mind as I took 30 minutes to peel myself out of bed because my body didn't want to work but yesterday I was enjoying a normal (well normal as normal can be for me) day and besides the pills I take, forgot about my illness for a few times in the day - that was nice, wish I had more like that.

2 comments:

  1. Hey BD, I had a year off work, and now only work 30% time. I don't know what disability services are like in other countries - but here in Australia, I found the Centrelink staff supportive and caring when they sorted out my disability pension claim. It is scary - not knowing how the budget is going to work.
    I'm a single mum, but fortunately my kids (one last year of high school and one half way through uni) were able to understand the need to cut back and have been pretty good about it.
    It was scary, but we made it through. Now, when I worry about whether I can keep doing my 30% time or not, it's because I love what I do, not because I'm worried about the money. A year on a disability pension has taught me that although it's not easy, we can get make do.
    One thing I did, which helped the transition, I think, was to start budgeting while I was still working full-time, as if I was on a pension. It meant we got used to living on less money while there was still a buffer there for emergencies, and we had a little bit in the bank for little bit of time it took for the pension to start coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words Iris. I believe with just a little more time and a little more work on the budget that we may be able to make it work, I'm just hoping my body will cooporate in that time.

    ReplyDelete